Skip to main content

Indiscriminate Waste Dumping: LAWMA to shut down Ladipo, Oyingbo markets… mobile court sentences two environmental offenders

Indiscriminate Waste Dumping: LAWMA to shut down Ladipo, Oyingbo markets

… mobile court sentences two environmental offenders

Lagos Waste Management Authority (LAWMA) said that, from next Thursday, both Ladipo and Oyingbo markets would be shut down till further notice, for reckless waste dumping, refusal to pay for waste services, and general poor waste management situation at the markets.

LAWMA’s Managing Director/CEO, Mr. Ibrahim Odumboni, noted that the unwholesome environmental practices by traders in those markets, despite repeated warnings, called for necessary and immediate sanctions.
He said: “Our attention has been drawn to the deplorable state of the environment around Ladipo Market, Mushin and Oyingbo Market, resulting from reckless waste dumping by traders. Despite serving them abatement notices, they have continued the mindless environmental violation. We are left with no other choice than to evoke the necessary sanction of shutting down the markets. This is also meant to serve as a deterrent to other nonchalant markets”. 

He said that the authority had, in recent times, redoubled its efforts to ensure that business activities in all Lagos markets were carried out in a clean and safe environment, for the good of all.

Odumboni noted further that: “We have intensified our sanitation efforts by deploying trucks to clear black spots across the metropolis, especially business facilities.

However, these efforts are being tainted by the activities of mischievous persons who would rather dump their waste indiscriminately on the roads, than pay for waste services”.

He urged traders in other markets to adhere strictly to environmental hygiene or risk indefinite closure of their markets.

In another development, a mobile court sitting in Oshodi has sentenced two environmental offenders, for waste burning and dumping refuse in the drain during rainfall, both were apprehended at Ikeja and Lekki axis respectively.
The first offender was sentenced on a two-count charge: one year imprisonment or a ₦50,000 fine, and one month imprisonment, without the option of a fine. The second offender was remanded in a correctional facility, pending bail conditions. 
The LAWMA boss reiterated the determination of the agency to stamp out all forms of indiscriminate waste disposal in the metropolis, adding that the enforcement team had been mandated to monitor the environment and arrest persons bent on derailing efforts of the Authority to make Lagos cleaner and livable.

He appealed to residents to imbibe the habit of effective waste management, by bagging and containerising their waste, for easy and evacuation by assigned PSPs, adding that delay of evacuation by PSP should be reported to the Authority, using its toll-free lines, as excuse when caught would not be entertained.

For waste management related issues in your location, please call LAWMA toll-free numbers: 07080601020 and 617.

Folashade Kadiri (Mrs.)
Director, Public Affairs
15/09/2022

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lagos Government seals Oko Oba Abattoir over unhygienic practices

Lagos State Government on Thursday announced the shutdown of the Oko-Oba abattoir over unsanitary activities, waste mismanagement and unhygienic handling of animal products. This directive was given by the Commissioner for the Environment and Water Resources, Mr. Tokunbo Wahab after an extensive inspection tour with the media to Oko-Oba the Abattoir at Oko-Oba in Agege informing that the Ministry received a petition from the Ministry of Agriculture to intervene as regards various Environmental and health infractions going on at the abattoir. According to him,  “What was witnessed at the abattoir today is heart-wrenching; the operators have defied and chosen to take laws into their hands as they slaughter animals and discharge the Waste into public drainage system with impunity and this is totally unacceptable.” Wahab said that upon the visitation to the abattoir, it was observed that the operators discharge all animal wastes into the public drainage channels leading to ...

EID-EL-FITRI: LAWMA CALLS FOR RESPONSIBLE WASTE DISPOSAL … to provide backup services during the festivities

The Lagos Waste Management Authority (LAWMA) has called on residents to properly bag and dispose of their waste, through their PSP operators, during and after the Eid-El-Fitri festivities. Managing Director/CEO of LAWMA, Dr. Muyiwa Gbadegesin, in a statement, disclosed that the Authority had put adequate measures in place to ensure that the celebration was observed in a dirt-free environment. He said, “As we mark this year’s Eid-El-Fitri, it is important that we do so in an environment-friendly manner. For this reason, we have put adequate measures in place to ensure that cleanliness is maintained across the metropolis during and after this period”. He noted LAWMA’s resolve to tackle all forms of improper waste disposal in the state, which had led to environmental degradation, appealing to residents to patronise only assigned PSP operators and shun garbage cart pushers, whose activities undermine the agency’s efforts. Gbadegesin said that PSPs would be working all through t...

The Lagos State Government reaffirms its commitment to youth empowerment, civic participation, and climate consciousness.

Mr. Tokunbo Wahab, represented by Engr. Olakunle Rotimi-Akodu, spoke at the grand finale of the Lagos Has Talent competition Climate Edition, highlighting the event's role in showcasing youth-led climate advocacy. The initiative began in 2023 and gained traction with the involvement of social media influencer Maryam Apaokagi (Taooma) to amplify youth voices in climate issues. The government is focused on practical solutions for addressing climate change through the Lagos Climate Action Plan and the Lagos State Climate Adaptation and Resilience Plan (LCARP). The competition's top finalists were praised as ambassadors for creativity and climate awareness, emphasizing the importance of youth voices in climate action. Awards were presented, with the 1st place winner receiving N5Million, and other prizes distributed to the runners-up. The initiative is supported by C40 Cities and UK International Development, with collaboration from the Ministry of the Envir...